Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Bread Bible Ciabatta

Inspiration has led me in a whim of trying to bake my own bread.
Jessi made Focaccia and I just had to make my own bread.
I wanted to make a nice, light and airy Ciabatta Bread.

I think I over kneaded the bread, creating more gluten strands and less air.
Living is Learning I guess.
This was just the first test.

You make a pre-ferment and let it sit for atleast 6 hours.
My Pre-ferment is called a Biga
This is my Pre-ferment at about 8 hours.

Mix all the ingredients and the Biga together.

Sticky Sticky dough.

Then kneading it comes into play.
I think I kneaded it for 12-14 minutes.
Less kneading next time.

Let it triple in volume.

Shape it out and let it rest for another 2 hours.

Throw it in a 475 degree oven with a pan underneath.
I threw some ice cubes on the tray below to create steam.
30 or so minutes later, you have bread.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like your dough was not wet enough. When I did the recipe it was more wet and did not keep its shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you could knead it by hand, you did something wrong.

    ReplyDelete